PSP VS DS LITE!

Which handheld would you guys get?(or already have)

• PSP

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • DS

• Why not get both? I can afford it :)

• Total voters

Sn4k3X

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
i would say both, i have them both, but i think ds is better, i had a lot of fun with my ds games.
while my psp is just a "moviewatcher" and i only play dj max and pro evolution soccer 2008 with it...
that's why i voted ds >>> the games are much more fun, and so much more games

myuusmeow

Trophies
Website
google.com
XP
Country
United States
I have both and haven't touched my DS since I got my PSP. Why bother squinting at 2 tiny screens, which only 1 is really used for something useful, with "innovative" touch controls, and mounds of shovelware?

ojsinnerz.

Damned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Xcalibur said:
ojsinnerz said:
Back on topic, the DS has a much bigger library, and that is enough to win my vote.

Not really, seeing as the PSP is superior to the DS in terms of emulation. Frikking PS1 and SNES which work perfectly should keep a normal busy for several years.
Nevermind the PSP's liberry is made up of ports and remakes.
Also, there's just something awesome about having a PSP..

The PSP gets my vote. SO many hours wasted on Disgaea
wub.gif

I meant the game library, not the Emulation.

Well, it's very obvious that the PSP has a while lot more processing power, and a better hardware, but I mean as the games.

There are a few good games out there, for example, Tekken 5, loco Roco, GOW, GG:XX, ETC.

But I still find the DS superior. Lots of old classics turning new.

greyhound

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I have both and I always end up going back to the DS for the old classics. For one, I can fit all of the games I've enjoyed over the years on the one memory card. The games being smaller makes them more accessible. Another reason is that I know many more people both on and off here that own the DS. The largest PSP games are ~1.5gb.

Regarding the actual system and not the ability to store ROMS/ISOS, the PSP graphics always impress me when I've been playing the DS for a while. Burnout Legends, for example, has amazing graphics for such a fast paced game on a handheld.

I tend to use the PSP for emulation and watching videos on the train when I don't have my laptop handy. I recently dusted it off to try out Lego Indiana Jones on it, but I keep shunning it for a game of Dodgeball on the DS.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yea, I was really planning to get a PSP for the PS1 Emulations, GBA emulation, and the Isos for Final Fantasy and MEtal gear Solid stuff but...I don't think it is worth it compared to the DS. I don't know. The PSP seems like its not worth it compared to the DS costwise and gamewise. I am starting to think that it would be better just to spend the money on a PS3 or Xbox 360 home console rather than invest it on a PSP now ^^ but yea, you guys do have a point that both have their strengths and weaknesses.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Quick question Kamui, why do you get 2 handheld systems rather than one handheld and another home?( I am just wondering b/c I was going to get 2 handhelds aswell but it just doesn't make sense why I should spend so much extra cash for another handheld device rather than get 1 for home and 1 for travel)

bustyman100

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
I have both, but i seem to be playing my DS a lot more, namely because I have dedicated my life to being the world's finest Daigasso Band Brothers virtuoso... Really, I can't wait for the sequel.
A stock PSP is basically useless. The UMD drive screeches like a mofo and it will get you kicked out of a quiet library if you play load intensive games on it (with headphones, of course). Also, the big screen is like a naked whore strutting down the ghetto at night just asking to be raped. You HAVE TO get a decent case that covers the screen if you want to take it anywhere, otherwise the nice shiny screen will turn into a scratched abomination. The DS is one tough SOB and doesn't need a case because of the clamshell design.

After getting the PSP modded, I'm playing mostly PSX and SNES games on emulation. Chrono Trigger still rocks my world. But in the end, I still find the PSP slim w/ case a little clunky to carry around.

There is something I would like to have clarified. People say that the DS has better battery life than the PSP. This is probably true if we are talking NDS running official cart vs PSP running official UMD. But what if we are talking about a DS running a flash cart vs a PSP running off a Mem Stick? I did the NSMB intro video test and found that my m3 Real with slot-2 expansion cart kills my DS battery in 3.5 hours flat. Using the same test the Acekard 2 plus EZ Flash 3-in-1 combo gave me about 4 hours. (I kept the slot two cards in there because people say that they drain power even if not in use- can some one confirm this with tests?) The PSP gives me about 4 hours of game play if I don't use the UMD drive. Are all DS flashcarts this bad with the battery drain?

Another related matter is that sleep mode is crap with DS flash carts. On an official cart you can leave your DS in sleep mode for days on end. With a flashcart it sleeps for around 10 hours. On the other hand, a modded PSP's sleep mode works just fine.

kevenka

OP
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting way to describe it -.-
A little disturbing but vivid...so i guess it balances
rolleyes.gif

And Man...I love this icon:
wtf.gif
Just don't find enough uses for it ^^
P.S. I can't seem to find the game Daigasso Band Brothers virtuoso on gamespot. Is it an import from japan?

Ferrariman

Hip-Flop and cRap
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Both are good. The DS has a more diverse library of games for everyone. The PSP I a multimedia monster and can Emulate most popular oldies.

Beware

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you REALLY love retro games (I do), the PSP is where it is at. I hacked my PSP and LOOOOVVVEEE it. But the thing about that is that I NEVER play PSP games. If you want to emulate, a modded PSP is the greatest handheld out there right now (still waiting for the Pandora
happy.gif
). If you want fantastic commercial games, the DS is the only way to go.

da_head

A dying dream..
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
bustyman100 said:
I did the NSMB intro video test and found that my m3 Real with slot-2 expansion cart kills my DS battery in 3.5 hours flat. Using the same test the Acekard 2 plus EZ Flash 3-in-1 combo gave me about 4 hours. (I kept the slot two cards in there because people say that they drain power even if not in use- can some one confirm this with tests?) The PSP gives me about 4 hours of game play if I don't use the UMD drive. Are all DS flashcarts this bad with the battery drain?
wth? 3.5 hours?? i think there's something wrong with ur ds' battery. btw. whats the nsmb intro video test?

EDIT: and what brightness do u keep it on usually?

jeronz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
The PSP is heading into a bit of a software drought. There are hardly any PSP third party titles coming out. For example, ubisoft isn't currently working on any psp games. Software sales are awful on the psp, and no one likes to lose money. Whereas with the DS we still have lots of awesome games to look forward to.

And yes the DS has a lot of shovelware, but the PSP has a lot of crappily made PS2 ports.

However, as an interesting fact, the PSP is currently outperforming DS in sales in Japan. (around double the sales)

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Right onto uremums 3d printed dildo