Canada
No and I never will
smile.gif

SaltyDog

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
After reading the Surgeon General's warning, I was convinced to quit smoking! Cigarette smoking may(emphasis mine) be dangerous to your health. Seriously, how can you argue with that!!!

Banger

Me > | | < You ..Wanna Line dance?
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well if you are stressed enough it can cause your heart to get into an extreme danger zone. If you can not deal with your stress in any other way. It is either smoke poison and die very slowely over many many years. Or die of a heart attack in a very short time.

I wonder which a smart person may pick.

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
B-Blue said:
Non-smoker. I never understand why people smoke?!
For those who smoke, give me one good thing about smoking, just one.

Because it's my choice, and sometimes we make bad choices because they feel good (you'll learn when you grow up that sometimes that's ok (not you really, actually granville chill oooout dude...)).
Ex-smoker, 1 year, who sometimes has a cig or two when he drinks.

and I smoke weed everyday.. much harder to quit (but why would you want to?)
biggrin.gif

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
B-Blue said:

I do not smoke but...

People smoke because it helps lesson stress and do not have another way to get rid of the stress. Stress is a much faster death then smoking. What would you do? Smoke and die in 40+ years, or die of most instant death becase stress caused your heart to not slow down?

Smoking has also been known to help with weight loss.

You can say both of these reasons are really extreamly stupid but if the person really does not have any other viable "healthy" choices for them, its either die fast or slow.

I guess it is a matter if you would want to die possibly tomorrow or 40+ years.

Lelouch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bangbanger said:
B-Blue said:

I do not smoke but...

People smoke because it helps lesson stress and do not have another way to get rid of the stress. Stress is a much faster death then smoking. What would you do? Smoke and die in 40+ years, or die of most instant death becase stress caused your heart to not slow down?

Smoking has also been known to help with weight loss.

You can say both of these reasons are really extreamly stupid but if the person really does not have any other viable "healthy" choices for them, its either die fast or slow.

I guess it is a matter if you would want to die possibly tomorrow or 40+ years.

smoking to get rid of stress is pathetic and shows you are weak. anyways I don't care, survival of the fittest

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Me weak? No as I stated before I do not smoke. However if a person has stress that shows up out of the blue and there is no other viable way for them to get rid of the stress it is much wiser to smoke a cig then to possibly die of a heart attack.

Lelouch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bangbanger said:
Me weak? No as I stated before I do not smoke. However if a person has stress that shows up out of the blue and there is no other viable way for them to get rid of the stress it is much wiser to smoke a cig then to possibly die of a heart attack.

check with a doctor or something, there is no way your best option can be smoking.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There is ALWAYS another way to relieve stress than by smoking. If you say it's either instant death from stress or slow death from smoking, you are disregarding any other better option as if they don't exist. I'd exercise. That takes a lot of stress off and is great for you. Swimming I find especially relaxing. Smoking to relieve stress is a poor and narrow-minded excuse for people to develop a killing habit.

Here's a game-related example of what I'm trying to say (spoiler if you haven't finished KH Chain of Memories):

Riku is given a narrow choice. He refuses both. He makes a different decision than the ones first presented to him because he realizes that the decisions we make are NEVER black and white. There are always other paths or options available if we are strong enough to look.

(Insert you LOLz here for using a game to explain life)

And I realize it's someone's choice to make, but that still doesn't make it a good choice. Is committing suicide a good choice for me to make? I hope not.

I'm glad society has grown to view smoking as a not so good thing. Before the surgeon general's warning, if you didn't smoke, you were a complete fool who is an outcast from society. Twas embraced by nearly EVERY movie star and celebrity from the old B/W age of movies. I'm VERY glad that position has been changed. It was branded in the youth culture as "cool" and supported by the parents who were established smokers themselves.

I'm also glad that my state has recently banned smoking within public buildings. Smokers don't bother me as people, but I don't want to have to smell it.

Maybe I should give you a reason why I am so adamantly against smoking. I mean, of course it's unhealthy and everyone knows it. But why should I feel so strongly for keeping people healthy. Someone mentioned choosing death by stress or a slow death by cigarettes. How's this for a close shave:

My mother smoked until I was about 4. She nearly died of it when she developed a sort of reaction to it. She had caught bronchitis and the combination of the germ and smoke caused some sort of infection. She was bedridden for several weeks and nearly died. During this entire time, she couldn't light up at all without experiencing excruciating pain in the lungs and throat. That means she had the symptoms of bronchitis, the extended infection that the cigarettes caused, and the withdrawal symptoms. She never smoked again. Every time she smells smoke, she is filled with the memory of it.

It's worth mentioning that my mother began smoking at about age 15 or 16. It was the 1960's. She continued until about 1992. She had smoked for nearly 30 years. She could school anyone about the folly of disregarding your health because you think it will only affect you later in life.

Banger

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I never once said it was a smart choice for someone to use smoking in such ways. Funny how only the "Stress" reason was attacked and not the weight loss reason. I always look at the other side of the situtation not the logical one because so many times people do not take the logical path.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
bangbanger said:
I never once said it was a smart choice for someone to use smoking in such ways. Funny how only the "Stress" reason was attacked and not the weight loss reason. I always look at the other side of the situtation not the logical one because so many times people do not take the logical path.
The weight loss reason isn't worth attacking. It's pretty sad to use that as an excuse to smoke as there are hundreds of better options to choose from (without drugs) that help lose weight.

I'm not attacking you. You have said it's a bad choice. But I am attacking cigarettes (the product), those who promote them, and the companies that produce them. I also hate people who attack others for NOT smoking.
mad.gif

Lelouch

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
bangbanger said:

using smoking to lose weight or relieve stress is unhealthy either way and I'm sure you could look up many better options on the internet. nothing good can come from smoking.

granville

GBAtemp Goat
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Using smoking to lose weight is like starving yourself. You'll lose weight, but you can seriously hurt yourself or even kill yourself. In other words, it's the wrong way of going about losing weight.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgCjp3-rF_Y